The ideal solution to tooth loss?3rd February 2017
Dental implants are booming and are becoming the ‘go to’ option for people who have teeth missing but what are they exactly? And are they the ideal solution to tooth loss?
We look into things further for you…
Dental implants put simply are replacement tooth roots. They provide a strong base for permanent or replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
- One of the major advantages is that the dental implant works like a real tooth.
- Can laugh, sneeze or take part in sports without fear of them coming loose, which you may feel with dentures
- Don’t have to be removed and soaked like dentures
- They are stable and do not move or slide around when you are chewing or chatting
- The implant will support the remaining natural teeth around the gap and prevent them from shifting
- They are a permanent solution to missing teeth
- They fuse with your bone, which can aid comfort, as they become part of you
- It is a surgical procedure, which requires a healing phase
- The initial outlay of costs are more, but over the long-term, they could be more cost effective than the cost of dentures
- In some cases, you may be told you don’t have enough bone to support dental implants and may require a bone graft
- In a very small percent of cases, it is possible for the body to reject the implant and the bone tissue could fail to bond with the roughened titanium surface of the implant.
So, how successful are they?
The success rate of dental implants can vary depending on where the implants are needed, but in general dental implants have a success rate of up to 98%, particularly with proper care. This care will include the care you give your real teeth, including brushing, flossing and rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash, alongside regular dental check-ups.
If you would like any further information regarding dental implants, then please contact us on 0141 404 9994 or visit.